+1

Double-click Taskbar button to toggle maximize/restore

Anonymous 9 years ago updated by Michael (Ramen Software) 9 years ago 4
I often need to very quickly maximize or restore a window (usually in the context of some time-sensitive matter like a game or some such). To facilitate this, I have written an AutoHotkey script to let me use keyboard combinations which does help speed it up, but I always end up wishing that I could simply double-click on the windows’ Taskbar buttons to toggle them between maximized and normal.

Unfortunately, I am having trouble finding a way to identify the window of the Taskbar button that has been clicked (I cannot get its handle), so I have not been able to write an AHK script to do that. Therefore, I figured I would appeal to the Taskbar authority and just request that this function be added to the existing Taskbar tweaker instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

(In addition to speeding up time-sensitive activities, this would just be more convenient overall, so I am surprised—or perhaps not—that Microsoft never thought of it.)
We can almost do it with Mouse Button Control in the Advanced Options (right click tray icon)
Here is the list of actions it can bind for a taskbaritem:

1. Switch to
  2. Minimize
  3. Close
  4. New instance
  5. Jump list
  6. Standard menu
  7. Show thumbnail preview
  8. Terminate process
  9. Minimize all group items
  10. Close all group items
I am not sure why maximize/restore is not on that list yet, perhaps it is somehow more difficult to do.
Under review
I will add maximize/restore in the next version. That's not exactly what the OP asks for, though: he asks for one hotkey to be able to toggle between maximized/restored state, as far as I understand.
Your request was implemented in the latest beta version, 4.5.10.7.
Note that there's the scroll_maximize_restore advanced option, which allows to do what you're asking for by using the mouse wheel.

Unfortunately, I am having trouble finding a way to identify the window of the Taskbar button that has been clicked (I cannot get its handle), so I have not been able to write an AHK script to do that.
You might want to try using 7+ Taskbar Tweaking Library :)