+4
Completed

The preview stack-list order (Hovering -> List)

Anonymous 11 years ago updated by Michael (Ramen Software) 10 years ago 5
Windows XP ordered the list of open windows in a group from newest to oldest, top to bottom. Windows 7 puts the order in the exact opposite - oldest at the top and newest window at the bottom. This wreaks havoc on my habit of knowing where to go when frequently moving from one window to another in a different group. Plus, the location of the main program (i.e. Office Communicator, Outlook inbox, or browser window with default home tabs) is now relative to how many open windows there are in that grouping, whereas before, the main program/first-opened was always placed at the bottom of the list - that made sense. I've searched multiple forums and don't see that Windows 7 offers this as an option. I see there is a way to manually sort this in Taskbar Inspector - or right-click and use "sort group items" to list alphabetically. However my request is for it to behave in the same manner as Windows XP did. I often have a dozen or more programs open and can easily total 40 or more windows open at once. I often use "Alt+Tab" for switching, however when I need to get to a specific window, I count on the preview list and its order arrangement. See also this link from another pc user who discovered the Microsoft switch, posted on Mozillazine. Thank you! Task bar Tweaker has saved me.

Answer

Answer
Completed
Done in v4.4.4 as an advanced option.
Answer
Completed
Done in v4.4.4 as an advanced option.
Hi RaMMicHael,

This option (list_reverse_order) works great(ish), thanks for adding it and saving me grief!

I'm having a problem with it however (tested on 2 different Windows 7 Pro x64 machines).

When the list of grouped application windows gets to the point of having the up and down scrolling arrows (around 30 windows, may depend on resolution however), to scroll through the list, the arrows mess up.

I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean.

After turning the option off again the arrows return to their normal position, screenshot number 2.

Just wondering if its fixable please please please, and thank you!

Alex
Hi Alex,

Yes, I haven't considered the case of overflowing items.
After lots of poking around, I managed to fix most of it. Please try the following version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ho4b30h9fsu70nf/7tt_setu...

The only remaining issue I know of is that the arrows don't work. That's not perfect, but unfortunately there's no straightforward fix for it. It surely is better than before, and perhaps it's good enough for you.
Hi RaMMicHael,

Thanks very much for your quick response! As you say the arrows are now in the right place, yipee!

Unfortunately, for me, it's still not practical as the arrow functionality is definitely required.
I appreciate that you're busy and can understand if you don't get the time to fix it indefinitely, but would really appreciate if you could eventually get round to it.

I've got a number of users in the company I am IT administrator for who swear by 7+TT (moved about a year ago from XP and they haven't gotten over it yet!), your application has saved them a lot of pain.

Thanks again,

Alex
Hi Alex,

Please try v4.4.5.3 (beta) of the tweaker :)
Thank you RaMMicHaeL!

Beta version is working perfectly!
I've only tested it on 2 machines with a couple of types of application so far, but its worked without any issues.

Great piece of software with super fast and friendly support, what else can I say :)

Keep up the good work!

Alex